Friday, March 28, 2008

Smarter than I thought!

Something very EXCITING happened this week for me! No I did not find out that I was pregnant, and no I did not have a million dollars handed to me, and no, not all my debt was paid off...something even better than all of those things put together!

I am going to take you back to the beginning of this story...it all started back at the beginning of January. I signed up to take a class that had to do with learning a foreign language. Some of you may be thinking, "was it spanish or french or maybe even arabic?", well, if you guessed any of those I have to say that you are wrong. I entered the world of Medical Terminology. This was a 9 week course and by the end of the course I would have learned over 11,000 medical words. I actually had to learn 350, but they can be put together to make over 11,000 words. So each week I would go to class and I would have to memorize 50 terms each week and each word had an audionym that we had to learn with it. So it was a three step process...we had to learn the suffix then the audionym and then the meaning. Wow, this was tough at times. I am not much of a memorizer, so I had to stretch my brain cells. Each week we would take a quiz over the past weeks terms that we had learned, so it was alot of pressure, because I tend to be a perfectionist and I am a bad test taker.

Well, as the weeks go on, I am having to learn more and more words. By week 8, I have learned 350 medical terms, and the next week is the big finale. I had to take the FINAL! This test was over everything that we had learned. We had to know the suffix and the meaning. So, now it is the 9th week of class, wednesday, March 5, 2008, 5:30pm eastern standard time, and I walk into my class room feeling a bit numb. I go to the front of the classroom were the teacher is and she hands us our tests and she also had a bowl of candy for us to take from to help us calm our nerves. What a great teacher, to offer chocolate along with a test! If only my high school history teacher would have done that, I might have gotten a better grade.;) Anyways, I sit down and read the directions to the exam and I have my cup of water and my 3 #2 pencils and my 2 pieces of ghiradelli chocolate and mind full of medical terms just waiting to spill out onto the paper.

Now I begin the test and I am doing pretty good at remembering the answers and then a classmate of mine decides to come sit right next to me and I was feeling like my area was being invaided, my comfort zone was being disturbed. So I have to shuffle my stuff out of his way so he could have room at the table to sit. Then I go back to my test, and it happened, I had a brain freeze or what I like to call a "brain fart" some reason nothing looked familiar. This guy had messed with my mind!! My heart started to race and my hands began to sweat and I started to think "I wonder if anyone has ever had a heartattack while taking the medical terminology test?" I finally am able to bring my thoughts together and finish the exam. At this point, I have a cramp in my hand from holding the pencil so tight and a kink in my neck. I then get up and take my test to my teacher and then gather up my things, and if you are wondering about the pencils, yes I did use all 3 of them, then I proceed out of the room. As I am walking down the hall my body is feeling like rubber and I want to just calapse to the floor, but I am strong and I made my way out of the builing.

So now it has been three weeks and I went out to my mailbox on Wednesday and there it is, the big orange envelope! So I take it into the house and I call my husband to tell him it was here, but I was too nervous to open it! I then start to open it slowly, and I pull the paper out and it is upside down, I then close my eyes to turn it over and when I turn it over.....I see what it is that I worked so faithfully on to achieve. My hard work had finally paid off! The paper that I am now looking at, is my certificate of completion of the course, and it is GOLD! I received a perfect score!

I am just amazed that my brain could hold so much information! Thanks to this accomplishment, it has made me realize that I can do anything as long as I have enough determination.

I know you are probably asking what I am going to do with my life now that I have achieved such an honor, well, if all goes as planned, I am going to be taking a CNA course at a local college and pursue something in the medical field that doesn't involve delivering dinner.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Love the reference to Mr. Alberts. You really think chocolate would've helped in test taking?