Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A New Job!

If any of you have read my last blog I talked about my medical term class that I had taken. Some of you may be wondering, why on earth would I take such a class. Well, the whole reason behind it was to be able to further my career in the medical field. As much as I love feed the ill and fading and working in a kitchen and clean up dirty dishes, I am ready for another challenge! So in my adventure of searching and hunting for a new challenge, I had applied for a secretary assistant position on one of the floors in the hospital.
I received a phone call last Monday from the Human Resource department at the hospital wanting to set up an interview for the position that I applied for. So I went on Tuesday for my interview, now the requirement for this job was to take a medical term test, so I thought this would be no problem, I mean I did receive a perfect score on my test for class. I have got it made! Well, me and my too confident britches, didn't realize that the test was made up of mostly abbreviations! They don't teach that in the class I took!! So after I tried to guess at the terms I proceeded my way up to meet with the manager of the floor, and she seemed very nice. She then asked me some questions and then she started to explain what my responsiblities would be and she lost me after she said it is very "stressful" and she asked how well do I handle a high stress situation. Well, if any of you know me very well, I don't handle it so well, I tend to end up spending my time dealing with stress in the bathroom! I tend to cry alot too.
So the interview finally comes to an end and I leave the hospital in tears! I had felt like a failure, that I wasn't worth any more than a kitchen worker or a custodian. So then I came home and tried to think of something else that I could do, and I decide that maybe I should try to go to school and get my CNA (certified nursing assistant).
Well, then my spirits were being lifted and my mind was on a different track. A new light had been turned on! So as the week went on, I was making plans to get registered for the course for May. Then everything change, as of 3:30 on Friday afternoon. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was sitting at my computer filling out some paperwork to get a scholarship and the phone rings, it is Melissa Wheeler from Human Resources. She starts out the conversation with " We would like to offer you the position of secretary assistant." Then she said " What do you think?" This is my reaction " well, umm". I know real intelligent! Then she said that I could take the weekend to think about about and if I had any questions to call her on her cell phone. She is just the best, I love that Melissa Wheeler!! So what do you think I did? Yep, I called her on Saturday with some questions! I was really struggling with whether or not I should take this job, but she said I could come and observe someone while they were working, so I jumped on that opportunity! So I am going to be shadowing someone tonite during the shift to see if it is something I can do and then I will have to make my decision.
This is a very big step for me, and I want to make the right decision. So for all of you prayer warriors out there, please pray that I make the right decision and that I have a peace about either way I decide.
I want to add to the comment that I made about custodians and kitchen workers. I appreciate the work that people do to keep buildings clean and to feed people when they are hungry, and it is a very thankless job. I am just ready for something different, a change.

No comments: